There are many different types of Aged Care facilities, including:

  • Community-based, non-profit facilities managed by a community-based Board of Management, including Byron Aged Care;
  • Private companies which may seek to make a profit; and
  • Facilities run by churches or welfare bodies, such as the RSL.

Before being granted admission to an Aged Care facility, all prospective residents, including respite residents, must be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

  • Call ACAT on 1300 884 850.
  • Call the Tweed ACAT team which looks after the Byron district on 07 5536 8283.

ACAT assessors provide an ACCR (Aged Care Client Record) which gives the Government and the Aged Care facility approval for residential care.

To learn how to access permanent residential or respite care, what to expect, and the associated costs, visit


Aged care glossary

For a glossary of aged care terms, head here.

Our residents and their families have some glowing things to say about us:

Scroll to Top