COVID-19 Precautions and Prevention
As of the 12/03/20, the global COVID-19 outbreak has been declared a pandemic due to the speed and scale of the transmission according to the World Health Organization.
As COVID-19 has evolved, Byron Aged Care has acknowledged Government advice however, we have proceeded to go above and beyond the current measures recommended to ensure the safety of our residents and staff is paramount.
What actions are we taking?
- Family and loved ones are currently not restricted from entering our facilities but must report to the Registered Nurse or senior staff member on duty for screening before entering. At this stage, we ask that visitors under the age of 16 do not attend our facilities.
- We are limiting visits to one visitor per resident at a time, for one hour. Visits must take place in your loved ones’ bedroom, an outside area or an area that is designated appropriate by the Registered Nurse or Director of Care.
- You are required to adhere to strict social distancing that is 1.5 metres apart from all residents and other visitors.
- If your loved one is receiving palliative care the Director of Care will speak to you privately about arrangements for your visit.
- We have screened all staff working for Byron Aged Care through a rigorous risk assessment process to ensure their medical suitability for work duties. We employ only trained and qualified staff who have the necessary experience to operate in a health crisis. If you have any concerns with this, please see your dedicated manager.
- We have placed restrictions on contractors entering any of our facilities unless the nature of the work is vital and necessary. If contractors are required on-site, they will be screened with a series of medical questions before entering any Byron Aged Care facility to ensure safety and suitability.
- Byron Aged Care conducts annual infection control training which all staff are currently retraining in and will complete by the end of March. This training includes; hand hygiene, personal protective equipment usage, high-level cleaning specific to outbreaks and respiratory hygiene.
- You are required to wash your hands-on arrival, departure and when coming into contact with any residents.
- Byron Aged Care has reviewed all medical equipment and resources across facilities to ensure we are well equipped and capable should an outbreak occur.
- Byron Aged Care has formulated emergency staffing models to ensure our preparedness of frontline care staff who will be ready for deployment should an outbreak occur.
- We have cancelled all large outings and have stopped outside entertainers accessing Byron Aged Care sites. Where cancellations have occurred, they have been replaced with in-house leisure and lifestyle staff hours and more physical resources.
- We have implemented a more rigorous daily cleaning routine that supports infection control and have sourced the necessary cleaning products to do so. We have also increased the number of cleans per day in high traffic areas of our buildings such as dining rooms, living rooms, doorknobs and handrails.
What actions can you take?
- Please do not enter our facilities or visit loved ones if you are feeling unwell, have travelled within the past 14 days or have been in contact with someone who has.
- Wash your hands before entering and exiting our facilities or interacting with clients.
- Please cough into your elbow or a tissue to cover your mouth, ensuring to dispose of the tissue in the nearest bin straight after.
- If your loved one is a Home Care Client of Byron Aged Care and they appear unwell, please contact your Case Manager to inform them so their services can continue appropriately.
- Please contact your Centre Manager ASAP to ensure your contact details are up to date.
Byron Aged Care will continue to monitor and implement immediate actions to ensure the safety of our clients during this time.
For further information contact:
Bess Brennan, Byron Aged Care Marketing & Media Manager
[email protected] or 0438 438 893